Noteworthy Laws of Viridumar
- Although murder is illegal (and punishable by death), religious sacrifice to the gods is not considered murder if it is performed in an officially recognized temple. Rescuing a person who was slated for such sacrifice (without providing a replacement judged acceptable by the priests) is a crime punishable by 20 years’ imprisonment.
Magic and Religion
- In general, the use of mind-affecting magic (including all spells of the Enchantment school and any other spells with the [mind-affecting] tag) is highly restricted and in many cases outright illegal.
- Professed Mycretian belief is technically punishable by death if the accused will not recant and swear allegiance to one of the recognized religions of Viridumar, but this crime is rarely prosecuted at present and many accused Mycretians will readily claim to be Sekerites or Shang Tal.
Drugs and other material goods
- Theft is generally punishable by the amputation of a hand.
- Elven wine is highly restricted and rationed. Nobles are permitted to possess only small amounts, and the consumption of Elven wine by commoners is punishable by death.
- The metal Carbelium (mined primarily on Gheulost Island) is considered military property. Private possession of carbelium is illegal without a license, and anyone caught doing so will be subjected to torture until they reveal their sources.
- Purified Mermaid’s Tears is produced for the Imperial Navy by alchemists under Imperial license only. Knowledge of the existence and purpose of this potion is classified, and unauthorized production, possession, or distribution is punishable by death.